December 7, 2009

To Warm the Cockles of Your Heart


Last night’s dinner was pure California winter comfort food, a big bowl of Cioppino to drive away the damp chill. I try to make it at least once when crab is in season, mostly because it’s a shame to not take advantage of the ocean’s bounty.

The first time I ever had cioppino, in fact, the first I’d ever heard of it, was in my early twenties. My first clue it was a messy dish was the bib the waiter tied around my neck before he set my meal in front of me. I haven’t eaten cioppino in public since. It’s a meal to be shared at home with people who won’t mind that you’ve got sauce on your hands and who expect you to mop up the last few bites with a hunk of sourdough bread.

This is my tried and true recipe. It’s open to adjustment and is always a little different depending on how spicy I want it to be, whether I use tomatoes with herbs already added, and what seafood looks good at the store.


Cioppino Sauce

2 – 4 shallots, finely chopped
2 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
Red wine (1 cup)
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1 bottle clam juice
Fresh parsley, finely chopped (1/2 bunch)
Thyme, Oregano, Red pepper flakes (to taste)

Sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil. Add red wine & reduce. Add crushed tomatoes, clam juice, parsley, thyme, oregano,  red pepper fllakes, and simmer. (I simmered mine for almost two hours, partially covered.) Add seafood.

I used Dungeness crab, scallops, shrimp, mussels, and clams, adding them the last 10 minutes of cooking.




Light candles, pour good red wine, and dig in.

7 comments:

Bella Rum said...

Oh, boy, oh, boy, oh, boy!

My mouth is watering, and I happen to have a main line to some really great seafood - through my brother. I would have to use blue crab, of course. Scallops. Oh, he gets the most beautiful scallops and shrimp and clams. I love mussels, but I'd probably have to buy them. My husband would love this.

Christine said...

This looks so good! Yummy!

Bella Rum said...

I have to tell you that I just showed this to my husband. I was trying to read it to him, and I literally started drooling. Now, of course, he wants me to make it.

Amber said...

Looks beautiful! Love the pics. i need to eat me some crab...I haven't had any yet.

:)

Becca said...

Wow, this looks good! This is one of my daughter in law's favorite dishes, so I have to try it. (She's kind of fussy, so I need recipes she'll eat!)

Thanks :)

Vanessa said...

wow, my mouth is watering! this looks so good. thanks for sharing. j and i love this kind of dish. bliss, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!